No one likes to be stuck in a hot and stuffy house, so it’s essential to take care of your air conditioner and address any issues as soon as they arise. One common issue homeowners experience is strange noises coming from their AC units. These noises can range from a soft humming to a loud banging, and they can be alarming and even cause panic. Before you call us for professional HVAC repair in Corpus Christi, TX, it’s helpful to understand what could be causing these strange noises and how to fix them.
At Temperature Humidity Air Quality Solutions, we understand the importance of a properly functioning air conditioning system, especially in the hot and humid Texas climate. That’s why it’s necessary to identify the source of strange sounds in your AC unit.
Common Causes Of Strange Noises In AC Units
- Loose or Damaged Parts: Over time, certain parts of your AC unit can become loose or damaged, which can cause strange noises. This could be a loose fan blade or a damaged compressor. If you hear a loud banging or clanking noise, it’s possible that a part has become loose and is knocking against something else.
- Debris in the Unit: If you hear a grinding or rubbing noise coming from your AC unit, it’s possible that debris may have gotten stuck inside. This could be leaves, twigs, or even small animals that have made their way into the unit. Removing the debris should fix the issue.
- Low Refrigerant Levels: If your air conditioner is making a hissing noise, it could indicate low refrigerant levels. Low refrigerant levels can cause various issues, including reduced cooling power and increased energy bills. It’s essential to have a professional check and refill the refrigerant as needed.
How To Fix Strange Noises In Your AC Unit:
- Tighten Loose Parts: If you think a loose part may be causing the strange sound, you can try tightening it yourself. However, it’s essential to be cautious and ensure you have the proper tools and knowledge. If you’re uncomfortable with the task, it’s best to call our professional for HVAC repair in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Remove Debris: If you suspect that debris may be causing the noise, you can try turning off the AC unit and removing the junk yourself. Use the proper tools and equipment to remove it safely. If you cannot remove the debris or the noise persists, it’s best to call our professional.
- Refill Refrigerant: If you think low refrigerant levels may be the issue, it’s important to have a professional handle the refill. Refilling refrigerant requires specialized equipment and knowledge, and it’s not something that a homeowner should attempt.
Preventing Strange Noises In Your Air Conditioner
- Regular Maintenance: The best way to prevent strange noises in your AC unit is to have regular maintenance performed. This can include cleaning the unit, tightening loose parts, and checking refrigerant levels. A professional air conditioning installation company in Corpus Christi, like Temperature Humidity Air Quality Solutions, can help you set up a maintenance schedule to ensure your AC unit runs smoothly.
- Replace Old Or Damaged Parts: If certain parts of your AC unit are old or damaged, they may be more prone to causing strange noises. In this case, it’s important to replace them as soon as possible. Our HVAC technician can help you determine which parts need to be replaced and recommend the best replacements.
If you hear strange sounds from your AC unit, don’t ignore them. These noises could signify a more significant issue that needs to be addressed. By identifying the noise source and taking the appropriate steps to fix it, you can help ensure that your AC unit runs optimally.
Feel free to call us at (361) 287-7032 if you need clarification on what’s causing the strange noises or how to fix them. At Temperature Humidity Air Quality Solutions, we have a team of experienced HVAC technicians ready to help with all your air conditioning needs.